Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Boom Box

The good old days.... we had the boom box!
When we started to complain about walking to school, our parents would tell us all the story of "uphill both ways in 2 feet of snow... blah blah blah blah blah."
Our walks to school were cool. It was a mile at least (or so it felt) and 4 or 5 cool kids would have a boom box on their left or right shoulder with sound turned up so loud, we all got to rock out as we walked to and from school.
The BOOM BOX. Wow.

Then the walkman was invented. The radio (with a tape deck if you were lucky) weighing at least 3 pounds was "so small" it hooked to your belt or pants. You were cool if you had a headphone set (with tennis ball sized ear phones) so others didn't get to listen to your music.

I miss my boom box. It had a tape deck. I sat on my bed or floor with my finger on the record and play button... getting ready for the song to start waiting until the exact moment the radio would play the latest song I wanted to record. I always missed the beginning becuase the DJ's ended up talking during the first part of the song... so I had to settle for partially recorded songs on most of the tape.

5 comments:

Bill and Bonnie said...

Nice, Miss. Wow, we have come a long way since the boom box, huh! And that was a long way from my first reel-to-reel tape recorder with big 9" reels. And that was the very latest and coolest technology back when I was walking uphill both ways to school! Now I take my skinny little ipod in my pocket on walks with hundreds of songs. Amazing! Thanks for the memories!

Mom

Becca Sharp said...

GOT TO LOVE radio recorded compilations! I think I even still have some - just not wanting to get rid of them...funny stuff.

Cydnee Gee said...

cute pics of your boys!! zach looks so much older already. i guess that means it's been too long since we've seen you!!

the Braby family said...

I hear ya! I actually miss my boom box.

Paula said...

I remember making tapes like that of songs from tapes (or records!) that I couldn't buy.

Now my kids have iPods. They'll never know hard hard it used to be. :)